Thursday, May 14, 2009

Random happenings not in alphabetical order


Things have been pretty emotional around here with a cacophony of events happening all at once this past week so I thought I'd take a little time to write about some of the more mundane/everyday things happening in my life lately. Its a good way to maintain some perspective:

-In my ongoing efforts to become more domestic, I accepted a bag of Amish Friendship bread from my boss. The way it works is someone who has gotten a starter bag from someone else gives you a bag of liquid mixture and you basically babysit it over the course of 10 days, adding flour and water halfway through. Before adding any spices or eggs, you divide your now larger bag of mixture into 4 bags and give 3 of them away with instructions on the process. Supposedly, only the Amish know how to actually start a bag, so coming by the mixture is a rare thing (unless you have the Googles). Since I seem to have good luck on the baking side of things, I decided to give it a try. I mean, its perfect for someone like me! I have 10 days to make it, there are only about 11 basic steps and 8 of them are "mash the bag". Excellent.
-I've also been running again. A lot. I've been averaging about 2ish miles a day and am hoping to actually run a 5K this summer and start training for a 10K, possibly in the fall. I need to stop sucking at this in the winter so I'm not in so much pain when I first start again in the spring.
-I've looked up and down and through everything everywhere and have been unable to find my travel backpack. Granted, it was old, didn't quite fit right and was a little on the ratty side but it was free. So, heaving a great sigh, I finally caved and bought a new one. Its fancy. Although it was on clearance, it was still expensive. If things don't stop making me dip into my trip fund, I'm going to end up sleeping in the airport and begging for food on the streets of Auckland!
-Speaking of draining my bank account, New Kitty has finally integrated into the family. What this really means is that about 30% more things get broken, mangled or go missing during the day while I'm at work. It also means about 30% more terrifying sounds in the middle of the night, 30% more danger to the chinchilla, 30% more treachery for me while trying to do yoga and about 120% more food to buy (she likes her snacks). BUT, there really is nothing like coming home to a herd of critters who greet you at the door and are happy to see you at the end of the day (even if you can't take your shoes off until you're *absolutely* sure there's no broken glass on the floor).
-As for entertainment, I found out the release date for The Road, a movie I have been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to hear more about since they delayed the release last fall. It comes out on October 16, the last day I'll be eating out of the dumpster in New Zealand. I'm hoping I can convince my friends to wait up for me so I don't have to go see it alone.
I've also been listening to a lot of Stravinsky lately. I forgot what a great piece The Rite of Spring is. Listening to it this past week brought me back to the first time I heard it performed live with the Minnesota Orchestra. I have never had my brain twisted by a piece of music like that before. (I'm not alone either, there were riots when it first premiered). I even went on Youtube the other day and found a video of the ballet. I suggest listening to a good recording as the sound quality is crap. I also suggest not watching before bedtime. So mind blowingly, magnificently terrifying.
I accidentally started the last paragraph with "I've been listening to a *lost*of Stravinsky lately." and didn't realize it right away. There is a reason this happened. The second to last season of LOST ended last night and my brain is still trying to wrap its way around this. Its gone. Until next year. And after that, it will be gone forever. I will only have my DVDs to rewatch over and over again.
I'm now at the part where they force the girl to start dancing so I had better go finish watching this then go to bed. (See how I didn't follow my own advice there? I'm going to have nightmares about pagan elders stomping around with their twisty necks and clowny face paint. *shiver*). In any case, I'll let you all know how the bread turns out. I may even make some for you.

4 Comments:

At 9:39 AM , Blogger Felicia said...

LOST!!! Oh my god, it was so good! And then I wondered what will happen if I die before 2010?? I will NEVER know how it ends!!

 
At 10:50 AM , Blogger Halfway Between said...

But look at it this way; if at any point in the next year you find yourself in a hostage situation/attacked by pirates while on a cruise/suffering from swine flu/eating a frozen pot pie with salmonella in it/waiting for the bus on Lake and Chicago you'll have incentive to pull through! Just remember that you NEED to know what happens at the end.....this is how I'm going to get through the next year.

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ever get to perform the Rite? We did it my sophomore year at NEC and I have to say it was amazing. There is something about a live performance of that piece - the intensity of the orchestra through the last section especially with no one wanting to be the one to play during an orchestra wide rest. Very intense. fun fun. If you can find it there is a cool video of berstein conducting a rehersal at the schleswig-holstein music festival. LOST!

 
At 7:44 AM , Blogger Halfway Between said...

I haven't! I own 3 copies of the score though. And I really would like to sit in on alto flute for it someday. I agree that its magnified during a live performance. I think most of his stuff is really hard to capture on a recording but the Rite in particular is about a thousand times better live. Terrifying, but awesome.

LOST

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home